Q: Two years ago, a man who could not find the means to perform Hajj died. Now, his family and children want to perform Hajj his behalf. However, they cannot afford the cost of the journey from Pakistan to Makkah. They, therefore, want to deputize a Muslim living in Makkah giving him the costs of performing the rites in Mina and `Arafah and of slaughtering the sacrificial animal. Are these arrangements correct and will its reward reach him? Please, inform us, may Allah reward you !

A: A prerequisite for one performing Hajj on behalf of another is the Miqat (site for entering the ritual state for Hajj and `Umrah for Hajj and `Umrah) of the proxy according to the strongest of two opinions of scholars. Accordingly, you may deputize a resident of Makkah or another city near Al-Haram to perform Hajj on behalf of your father.

May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family and Companions!

Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta
Member Deputy Chairman Chairman
`Abdullah ibn Qa`ud `Abdul-Razzaq `Afify `Abdul-`Aziz ibn `Abdullah ibn Baz

[Source: Alifta.net]